Thursday 11 April 2019

World Calendar Design by Pie Books - The Gallery Calendar - Self-led Brief

I then did some research using the book 'World Calendar Design' which compiles beautiful, unusual and playful calendars.

The first one that took my notice was the YOMIKO Calendar, which uses a different size page and colour for each month. These designs overlaid creates a unique and vibrant calendar, which creates a geometric, colourful and unusual aesthetic. It would fit well within an art institution and would attract attention for its interesting approach. It seems to be printed on thin paper which is something I would do slightly differently in order to ensure that the calendar is less likely to be damaged.


I then looked at 'Form in Life' which I thought had a interesting use of imagery and layout. Each page seems to have a slightly surreal illustration that fills most of the space. Then below it has two months that can be written on. This does create a beautiful aesthetic but I find it lacks functionality; because the dates are so small it would be irritating to write any information next to them. The product acts more as a piece to be viewed and not engaged with which is something I want to challenge.

Similarly the calendar on the right - 'Guen Inokuma' ordered it's text in a very minimal way. However, I liked the fact that every week was reflect on the line, shows some alternation. This seemed like an unusual and notable way of ordering the dates which I want to consider. I also thought the idea of having a square calendar with square imagery was an interesting idea.


 This 'Crystal Geyser Calendar' shows an interesting use of varying layout. This creates a different experience for each month and keeps the calendar interesting. The month number has also been made large, attracting a lot of attention and making it very eye-catching. I find this works well but is perhaps too loud for my target market.

Finally, I was attracted to the 'Arjowiggins Calendar 2007 Yukari Miyagi' because each page has subtly been cut into the letter 'A' making the design appear considered and playful. Changing the shape of the calendar is something that I could also consider, but only if doing so will maintain the highly professional aesthetic I am to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment