Saturday 6 April 2019

Further Layout Experiments - Art Fund - Competition Brief

Crayon Image Experiments

I then began to conduct further experiments involving text and the thought strands. I also began including a small illustration of the Student Art Pass, to convey the nature of the pass and the price. I found that in a lot of the previous Student Art Pass branding an image of the pass was included and I wanted to replicate that. This pass illustration seemed to balance the larger statement of text which I felt necessary to explain the passes benefits. The text is a lot larger here than in the original designs as from feedback it was suggested that the information was not being conveyed clearly.

I tried outlining the pass in white, then adding yellow as this is on the actual pass design and then I also created a blue opaque design that seemed to work well. Being opaque meant the photographs behind could still be visible but it also meant that because a lot of different colours have been used, the tone of the blue pass changes slightly in every image. This could be further refined.

I also tested changing the colour of the thought strands. This worked quite well in the one hue images which I made sure to pick colours which would compliment the backgrounds. But in many ways the white may be more vibrant. The text was coloured using the eyedropper tool - using per-exhisiting tones from the image for consistency.





The multiple colour images seemed to work even better, especially with the pass design laid over the top. I did however need to make sure that the blue of the pass could still be seen against other blue hues. Some of the experiments below don't work so well for that reason.


Tree Image Experiments 

These experiments followed the layouts I tested previously and they seemed to work quite well. Again I preferred the muticoloured designs and by colouring the text in a red hue it seemed to add to the image This was something I hoped to replicate. I also found that placing the pass in between the two thought strands meant the pass was a lot more involved in the piece, especially with one strand in front and one behind it looked tucked in between.



Brick Image Experiments

Something that worked quite well for these experiments was making the text even larger so that it filled the page with information. Although this meant there was less negative space to 'breathe' in, it also meant the information was a lot more legible and confronting for the reader to view. It also appears a lot more like an art institution poster and is bold and exciting - the design definitely isn't playing it safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment