Thursday 4 April 2019

The Hepworth Wakefield Inspiration - Art Fund - Competition Brief

As part of my research, I spent some time in The Hepworth Wakefield, where I have recently been working and began to consider how galleries create a form of detox for people and other ways that this could be visually represented. I made notes, allocating ideas into 'small ideas', 'notes' and big ideas' to organise my ideas.

Being at the Hepworth made me build on the idea of being lost looking at large sculptures and scenes. The previous figures I designed were small, and this helped to convey this idea of distance and emptiness - allowing the mind to wander and forget about day-to-day stresses.


I made notes about how I could create physical sculptures and photograph small plastic figures staring up at these. This would be to show how ordinary objects made large become art and create unusual, stimulating experiences. Barbra Hepworth has said in her youth "the hills were sculptures, the roads defined the forms" and this shows how simple scenes can create seen with a different perspective can change the experience all together. These objects could be items that students may particularly associate with - I have written balloons, glow sticks and things like this. Each sculpture could relate to the different places that the Student Art Pass lets you enter - museums, galleries and stately homes.

"I, the sculpture, am the landscape. I am the form and I am the hollow, the thrust and the contour.' Hepworth 1961 - considering how the creators of art are almost inside the design, each movement is connected to them. This fluidity is something I want to convey somehow - potentially through the previous 'thought lines' I experimented with.

I considered the different modes that this campaign could be disseminated, thinking digitally but also physically - posters, flyers, bookmarks etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment