Saturday 13 May 2017

Research on Victorian Typography and Design

Books relevant to Victorian Design:
  • Inside the Victorian Home- Judith Flanders
  • Victorian House Style Handbook- Linda Osaband
  • Graphic Design Before Graphic Designers- The Printers as Designers and Craftsman 1700-1914
Typographic experiments began with using Victorian figures to create type, creating a more subjective approach to the design. The shapes however felt too subjective, they represented a fluidity which I didn't want. For a classic Victorian design it needed to be rigid and precise, for every angle to be considered and consistently embellished; and using figures didn't represent.


There was also some experimentation with grid work, yet the grids were precise mesh found in a book about Victorian design. Although I like the grids themselves, I think the type I have tried to recreate with them is less successful. In the circular design I have tried to write 'VIC & BERT' to reference the royal couple in a more modern design, yet it feels too rough, it doesn't use the grid to the best capacity. Perhaps I could use the grid designs as borders or details for the final print. 


I then began looking at typography used in Victorian adverts and tutorials explaining how to recreate these techniques. I looked in 'Graphic Design Before Graphic Designers- The Printers as Designers and Craftsman 1700-1914' and found many examples of layered type with authentic patterns and textures. The 'America' below lead me to experiment with line and introducing a shadow to the type. 



It was especially apparent that the Victorians used a variety type in varying widths and angles, it was all part of the decoration and display. The capitol letters also used larger, more decorative shapes in order to highlight their importance. I wanted to create a piece that was as decorated and filled as the 'Cider Mill' design below.

No comments:

Post a Comment