Saturday 13 May 2017

Research into Victorian Layout

I started looking at Victorian adverts and the layouts shown in 'Graphic Design Before Graphic Designers- The Printers as Designers and Craftsman 1700-1914.' The hierarchy of information became apparent and the arrangement of floral details, patterns and strips. It felt authentic that a printing method was being used to recreate these designs, as Victorians also used similar techniques.




I particularly liked this 'Sam Burns Lumber' advert as it showed a variation of tone and type and was extremely exciting to look at, yet it only used two tones. For the screen printing process I wanted to use a minimal set of colours since there would be so much text and illustration that would need to be aligned. 

This design appears to have been split into thirds, with a border around the edge to frame it. This is a classic approach and is something I would like to replicate.The S especially feels bold and exciting, it was common for Victorians to embellish their lettering and the shapes behind them. I hope to find shapes and details in my Victorian research which I could use for my own design.

No comments:

Post a Comment