Thursday 7 February 2019

Business Card Box Development - Laptop Cat Publishing Logo - Live Brief

As part of the logo brief, I wanted to extend the project to the logo's applications. I created a stamp for the logo which could be used for the clients letters, packages, books etc. This worked well and should be useful to present the logo design at the end of this project. I also attached a tag to the stamp which should improve the client's experience and to encourage other potential clients to see the quality and effort which has been conducted for this project.



I then began creating a box which would hold together both the stamp and the business cards, again creating a good experience for the client. I hope to line the box with white tissue paper which was also have the logo stamped over it.

I began creating nets based on the size of the stamp and the business cards. I wanted the box to be made out of brown kraft card, as this would match the tones of blue used for the business cards and it would reflect the client's personality and natural approach to writing and publishing. The card I ordered was perfect as it was thick and professional yet also had delicate flecks of colour because it was recycled - this hints at the clients colourful personality and focus on fantasy books, but also shows consideration about his keen interest in the environment. It is important that as a designer part of me is thinking about the impact my work has on the environment and how I can make my pieces more sustainable. I also wanted the lid of the box to tuck away neatly without needing a fastening, so I began thinking about a professional and neat way I could design this.



I then drew out the design on the kraft card, carefully measuring each element and ensuring it was accurate with a set square. I created one prototype which seemed to go well, this meant I could do careful experiments thinking about where the the lid's fold would fit and where the incision should sit - this took three attempts but finally I had the correct measurement. 



The final box appears clean, well fitted and professional. The laptop cat logo has been stamped on the top lid which works well to convey the brand and highlight the logo's simple yet bold design. The stamp created a slight defect in the bottom left corner, yet this imperfection only adds to the personal feeling of the design work. Since the company is small and relies on personal interactions they are probably more likely to appreciate something which has an offhand, handcrafted aesthetic.

Because the paper slightly bent at the edges, the box is being held in place with elastic bands, this will control the shape in dries in and will create a better finish. This book will then be better photographed to highlight the final product.


No comments:

Post a Comment