Monday 6 February 2017

Blackletter Hostpital Signs

For this study task we used several black letter techniques to create authentic symbols in the style of traditional blackletter. These included compressing some of the forms so that they became tall and narrow and making sure some of the elements had contrasting thin lines.

Compression technique
Contrast technique
For some of the symbols I composed the images with the brush immediately, however the purpose of the task was to create random forms and textures- rather than individual designs. This wasn't raw
enough and appeared too constructed in some ways.

However, I found the symbols that I made most spontaneously with the brush (like the women/man toilet signs) had the most energy and originality. The ones that I composed afterwards with random elements seemed inconsistent and disjointed. 

P and Toilet symbol composed with random elements
This task was useful as it felt natural and meant that for my own wayfinding work I realised contemporary designs could come from very spontaneous experimental work. For the next task I will create many experimental designs so that I can pick the best elements of each. 

Selection of marks made in the workshop

No comments:

Post a Comment