Friday 20 April 2018

Studio Brief 2 - Delivery Book Service Idea

One of the ideas for the project was to create a service where books can be ordered online and delivered quickly as part of a service. These packages would be designed to be contemporary and aesthetically pleasing, with the main selling point of the project being the packaging.

Initially I looked at making this a black and white lino style of illustration, which I had seen on a gallery membership card. I thought this sparked the imagination yet still seemed contemporary and considered. I created a quick design that was somewhat random, taking inspiration from books and illustrating imagery and phrases associated with them. I went with the name 'ratpack' originally, as it as name given for a group of close knit people with a similar interest - that being reading. I thought the imagery of a rat could be interesting to explore, since it is not cutesie or conventional.



I then researched how to make a box and the kind of net it would involve, this is so it would fit a book nicely and possibly some other book related items. I looked at several nets that could be explored for the books to be packaged in a unique and interesting way. I chose paper that would make the inner colour lime green, picking something slightly irregular to attract students to it's bright aesthetic.



It is important to consider that by creating a packaging service, does it really reflect the findings of my research and is it really being as progressive as I want it to be? It may attract certain people to the idea of reading, but it is attracting them because of the product they'll be receiving and the 'consumerist rush'. Surely it is more important to create something from this project that encourages people to read for the joy of reading, could the scheme even have a profitless outcome. The main issue is that students don't think they have time to read, and lack commitment to. By making pretty packaging it could be good for a short term scheme, but students need to re-recognise the joy of reading, without the added bonuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment