Wednesday 11 April 2018

Studio Brief 1 - A Fado song

There are those who say that the Fado came to Portugal, once more through Lisbon, under the form of Lundum, the music of the Brazilian slaves. By this explanation, it should have arrived to Portugal with the sailors returning from their long trips, approximately in the year of 1822. Only after a while, Lundum started modifying until it became the Fado. Supporting this belief is the fact that the first musics of the kind were related not only to the sea but also with the lands far beyond them, where the slaves lived. One can look as an example to one of Amália's song, called "The Black Boat", which talks precisely of a senzala (place where the slaves were kept).

Black Boat
 
In the morning I feared you'd find me repulsive,
Shaking I awoke lying in the sand
But right away your eyes told me "no"!
And the sun penetrated my heart.
 
I then saw a cross on a rock
And your black boat dancing in the light...
I saw your arm waving among the open sails...
The old women of the beach say you will not return.
 
They're mad... they're mad!
 
I know, my love, you haven't even departed,
For everything around tells me you are always with me.
 
In the wind that throws sand on the windows
In the water that sings in the dying fire
In the heat of the bottom of empty ships
In my heart you are always with me
 
I know, my love, you haven't even departed.
 
Could this song be told through tarot cards? The song is perhaps too vague to have a story ark.

No comments:

Post a Comment