Monday 16 April 2018

Studio Brief 1 - Akbar Ali Tarot Cards

Another modern interpretation of the tarot is Akbar Ali's designs for Baby Arms album artwork and notebook merch. These use a strong, monochromatic style, with a focus on line work. It is interesting that both the modern interpretations I have looked at have taken very illustrative approaches. This should be something I experiment with. I assume these have been made by drawing with black pen and then inverting the outcome - this is something I could also look at. I love how 'shocking' the designs are, it truly feels striking and impactful to see a women holding the guts of someone in the centre. Perhaps I could also look at using imagery that is violent (but still exhibitable). You can also see that Ali has taken particular car to create a serif typeface that is reminiscent of original tarot cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment