Sunday 18 March 2018

Pan Macmillan Storybook - Character Style Development

I then began looking at ways we could make our characters unique and distinct, and easily replicable and consistent. I looked at elongating certain parts of the face or using particular shapes to make them unique. By looking at Laura Child's Charlie and Lola illustrations you can see that the nose, eyes and face shape are unusual and distinctive. Most of the experiments I did seemed too basic and typical, I wanted something that would grab attention.


I eventually looked at making the nose of the character pointy and large, with the eyes small in comparison. This paired with the pink blush marks under the eyes and the rounded faces made the characters look almost elvish. It was important to make them fit well within the fantasy theme and this style certainly seemed to grasp this.

No comments:

Post a Comment