Wednesday 15 November 2017

Prototype of Guidebook

Once I had decided the design of the main cover of the book, I then chose similar colours and design for the rest of the net. The red became a big feature, yet I wanted the black to be quite bold and striking on the back. The red band on the bottom is to connote the band on the first page of the book, this is to reference the 'film reel' aspect. A particular decision was to not include any of the blue of the inside pages, this was so the case could stand alone. I wanted there to be only a few colours in combination too, adding the blue might have caused certain clashes. Similarly I have used circles on the cover whilst the inside uses blocks. This is to play on the idea of shape and form, as both have a similar refinement. On reflection the case may have been better if the shapes used were similar square shapes like the designs within.

Although this seems like a simple response, all the more complex designs I trialed seemed crowded and 'forced'. Something refined can often be more effective.


Before printing the final net of my guidebook onto high quality matte paper, I made a smaller paper copy in order to visualise how it would look made up. This worked fairly well, as it meant the angle of the folds could be viewed in comparison to each other and any notable clashes could be edited.

Something I changed because of this was the white circle on the back. I realised I wanted this to be parallel with the circle on the front, in order to feel like there is some light being shone through the book. I also changed the tagline as I realised it was too linger and didn't fit with the minimalist approach that the guidebook has taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment