Wednesday 9 November 2016

Typeface Using Arm Silhouettes














For the next designs I decided to focus on silhouettes for the content. I find that the shape of an arm is perfect to relate to lettering as it has both sharp, angular line but also the potential to be curved.

                                                                                        
I began by drawing the lines and overlaying them to resemble certain letters. This helped to show me how I could use them in relation to the Caslon typeface.












Then I developed a style of creating the shape purely from the limbs and then placing the counter of that shape in place of the Caslon counter. Some were more successful that others, I particularly like the O because I think it manages to resemble arms but also maintain the grace and history that Caslon has. However, others like the P still feel too rough and subjective for a typeface, unless all the letters had a similar uneven construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment