Wednesday 9 November 2016

The Art & Craft of Sign-writing by William Sutherland

This is a book involving type from the Victorian times and contains 26 plates of type which I've taken inspiration from.
One of which was Plate XII which was made in the 13th century. This type intrigues me as it has a fair balance of curved and straight line. I especially like the decorative swash on the U and what I assume is a D. This makes me think I could incorporate external elements to the Caslon typeface to create swashes that resemble fingers. I also like the arc coming from the X, as it seems playful and odd but works within  the typeface.


I also found Plate X quite useful. It's a Gothic type made in the 14th century. I like the way the arms and the swashes extend eccentrically in order to meet each other. I also think that the way the O and the Q have bowls that point outwardly is clever. I will probably include this in my own type as I think they could resemble knuckles.


Finally, the last line of type on Plate II was another I found interesting. The idea of creating a break in the middle of a stoke seems unique. It's including an extra detail which is intricate but does not detract from the type itself. I also hope to include something like this in my typeface, perhaps to represent a finger crease.

No comments:

Post a Comment