Thursday 14 December 2017

Noughts and Crosses - Previous Covers

Two of the previous covers for Noughts and Crosses share an incredibly similar aesthetic and concept. They use the Noughts and Crosses as the main focal point, with black, white and orange being the colour scheme. It is important that this is steered away from as a style, the design is too cliched and needs remodeling. The first design in particular feels far too mature in its style, almost targeting adult readers in its simplistic approach. 


After researching Malorie Blackman I found out that one of the biggests influences of Noughts and Crosses was the book The Colour Purple by Alice Walker. This was something I researched further and eventually ended up looking into the covers of this classic. I particularly liked the two designs below that took illustrative approaches, this was a style I found I wanted to replicate. It also highlighted the significance of the colour purple itself to me, and I decided I wanted to connoted the roots of Naughts and Crosses with this colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment